We were honored to be chosen by Honda Corporation North America to be involved in the Honda Smart Home project which was designed and built in partnership with the University of California Davis on the West Davis Campus in 2014. This was the fifth Honda Smart Home Honda Corporation had built throughout the world (the first in the United States). The goal of each Honda Smart Home is to provide a “Living Laboratory” that allows the most current and innovative design and products to be implemented in construction and tested over time.
The HSH in Davis included design, construction and continuing study and research of:
- Reduced or eliminated concrete product for all slab flatwork. Special mix design using Pozzolan base
- Focus on sustainability on all aspects of home from green framing systems to choice of all materials
- Innovative heating and cooling using geothermal ground wells and use of exterior cooling ventilation. The geothermal wells were a study themselves as four wet wells and four dry wells were installed to compare the effectiveness of each
- Green landscaping systems utilizing home gray water system
- Innovative lighting design using color LED fixture technology developed for this project. The lighting system is controlled to replicate the circadian cycle of natural light
- Included Honda Corporations most innovative design for charging and integrated their electric vehicles with the home.
For more information on the Honda Smart Home, please click on the link Honda Smart Home US